August 13, 2008

Feel the fear and speak anyway



My audiences and clients are frequently surprised when I tell them I still get nervous before a presentation. I'm not afraid of public speaking, but like most speakers, I do feel pressure to perform, to give my best and to avoid making egregious and embarrassing mistakes.

It's perfectly natural to feel nervous and excited at the same time, and to still go forward, not being entirely sure of what will happen or feeling completely in control of the situation.

If you're truly afraid of public speaking, though, it might be hard to believe that you can get to this place.

Here's a quote from someone who lives the motto, "Feel the fear and do it anyway" every day:

"Actually, I'm afraid of heights... . I still haven't lost the fear. Like if you asked me just to jump straight off, without doing the dive and all, I wouldn't do it. So I have to have something to distract me on the way down."

~ Haley Ishimatsu, 15-year-old Olympic platform diver

If Haley Ishimatsu, who's afraid of heights, can jump off a 30-foot platform every day to challenge herself, perhaps there's hope for you!

The question is this: What do you have to do and what are you willing to do to get yourself to that place?

____________________________________________________
On The Everything Page you'll find everything you need to build visibility, credibility and influence through engaging presentations that move your participants into action: freebies, low-cost products and courses, and 1:1 coaching!

2 comments. Please add yours! :

Unknown said...

I wonder if it's fear of the speaking...

...or fear of the loathing.

Does the so-called "fear of speaking" stem from the fear of being hated by multitudes for the stupid stuff I say and think.. or even the way I express it?

I'm not sure we fear the speaking as much as the loathing.

So what is it: fear or loathing?

Face the loathing and say it anyway?

:)

Lisa Braithwaite said...

No, it's not usually the "speaking" we're afraid of. See this previous post on "What if your worst public speaking fear comes true?":
http://coachlisab.blogspot.com/2007/12/what-if-your-worst-public-speaking-fear.html

And today's post, when speaking really IS the fear:
http://coachlisab.blogspot.com/2008/08/what-are-you-really-afraid-of.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...