September 12, 2008

What's blocking your path? Part 1



This post was getting long, so I split it in two and will post Part 2 tomorrow.

Yesterday, during a talk by Life Mastery Coach Niels Johnson-Lameijer, (I'll have a website for you soon...), I heard an acronym that is used by life coaches to help their clients determine what is keeping them from moving forward in their lives. I find it equally applicable to public speaking: GAIL.

GAIL stands for Gremlins, Assumptions, Interpretations, and Limiting beliefs. As described by Niels:

Gremlins are "A very strong, emotional 'I' statement that pops in your head all the time (I am not good enough, I am not intelligent enough, etc.)."

Assumptions are "The 'I-have-been-there-done-it-before-so why-do-it-again' block."

Interpretations are "A judgment from your own perspective of a certain experience in your life."

Limiting belief is "A belief that is outside (cultural, religious) of ourselves and we believe as true (the world is flat, blonds are stupid, etc.)."

How does GAIL play into your reticence about public speaking?

You might have gremlins that say, "I'll never get over my fear" or "I'm just not good at it."

You might make assumptions like "Back in sixth grade, the class laughed at me, so they'll probably laugh at me now."

You might interpret situations incorrectly, such as, "That man in the audience isn't smiling or laughing; I must be boring."

You might have limiting beliefs like, "You have to be funny to speak in public."

Think about what's holding you back from public speaking at this moment. Ask yourself what gremlins, assumptions, interpretations and limiting beliefs are getting in your way.

Now what are you going to do about it?

Part 2 is here.


____________________________________________________
On The Everything Page you'll find everything you need to build visibility, credibility and influence through engaging presentations that move your participants into action: freebies, low-cost products and courses, and 1:1 coaching!

3 comments. Please add yours! :

Unknown said...

wow.. this is something i wanted LONG BACK as much as I NEED it now..!! Can't wait for Part II.

G.A.I.L - sounds to be a beautiful concept!!!

Lisa Braithwaite said...

Raj, I hope you enjoyed part 2!

lindyasimus said...

Assumptions also turn up as the Limitation that "if I did what you did, then it would mean X, so you must mean X" ...and then believe (assume) that this is truth!

Interesting that we fall into the trap of believing that "we" *are* this or that. That identity is somehow tied up with our habits. Silly, isn't it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...