February 18, 2009

Setbacks are only temporary



In this article, I talked about my experience with panic attacks and how I learned to take control of them. At first, they were debilitating, and I was afraid to go anywhere that might trigger them. Once I learned the skills to overcome them, my life returned to normal.

Sometimes we overcome a physical or mental challenge only to be faced with setbacks. We believe we've left the problem in the dust only to have it return at a later date, maybe unexpectedly, or maybe triggered by a similar situation that created the first challenge.

I want to let you know that you can overcome it again! You beat it once, and you still have the skills and determination to beat it again.

It's scary to feel like you're not in control of your mind or body. It's scary when the feelings in your body and the thoughts in your mind seems to override all logic.

Don't give up, and don't give in. Get support if you need it. You're strong, you're powerful, and setbacks are only temporary. Keep fighting and you'll see what I mean.

____________________________________________________
On The Everything Page you'll find everything you need to build visibility, credibility and influence through engaging presentations that move your participants into action: freebies, low-cost products and courses, and 1:1 coaching!

2 comments. Please add yours! :

Dr. Jim Anderson said...

Lisa: good post and I'll remember it the next time I'm sitting in the middle seat on a crowed airplane.

Reading your words I was struck with the thought that the US Airways pilot who successfully crash landed in the Hudson river, Chesley Sullenberger, didn't have a panic attack when most of us would have.

I believe that thinking through a situation BEFORE you are in it is the key to mastering the moment. Congrats on conquering your fears and wear a helmet next time...!



- Dr. Jim Anderson
The Accidental PM Blog
"Home Of The Billion Dollar Product Manager"

Lisa Braithwaite said...

Thanks for your comment, Jim! I hate the middle seat on a crowded airplane. :-)

When you find yourself in a challenging situation, having a plan is the way to you!

And I will not be driving a scooter or motorcyle ever again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...